Thursday, July 10, 2014

Legend - Marie Lu (#1 - Legend Trilogy)







Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Genres: Dystopian, young adult, romance, action

 What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. 

America has been split into two parts - the Republic and the Colonies. The Republic is very military country so the most earning jobs are military connected. All children have to take a 'trial', which is like a test at the age of ten (I think) which evaluates your physical abilities and your intelligence. June has been the only person to get a perfect score, 1500/1500.

Day on the other hand, has failed his trial and his mum and younger brother think he's dead. Only his older brother John, knows that he is alive. He is the most wanted criminal and his family are poor and live in a poor sector (the Republic is split up into different sectors which are mainly divided by families' wealth and status) where there has been an outbreak of the plague. His younger brother Eden has the plague. 


'In my mind, I make a silent promise to my brother's killer. I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Search every street in the Republic if I have to. I will trick you and deceive you, lie, cheat and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise: your life is mine.'

This book kicks ass.

I picked it up from my local library and after I had finished reading it, the urge to keep the book was enormous.  I eventually had to buy my own copy after I received a mail from the library warning me that I had to return it soon.

I liked:
-Day.
-June.
-The idea of  how the country was militarily run.
-The uniforms.

-How smart June and Day both were as it meant no reading dumb dialogues.
-Both June and Day's similarity.
-The plot.
-The rollercoaster this book sends you on.

I didn't like:
-The fact that Day emotionally weaker than June. (He had been through more so it was understandable I guess)
-It's extremity. Day and June are only 15/16 and yet they have the highest statuses - the prodigy and most wanted criminal.

Although Legend is easy to read, it is packed with plenty of action, entertainment and thrills. The scenes are described vividly and they are never boring. The book includes scenes that are light and amusing; scenes that are heartbreaking and sad; scenes that are just absolutely mind blowing and genius; scenes that deal with family, death and betrayal. It has it all.

I loved June, and in my opinion, if June and Katniss were in a fight, June would win. I think that June would also beat Tris, but it'd be close. Reading her chapters were exciting and stimulating as she'd notice little details as someone of her abilities would and you really got a good impression of her mind.

Day is basically like the dude version of June in the way that he too is also clever and agile. Within ten minutes of reading the book, I was already reading about Day jumping of a however-many-storey high building and surviving, with a few injuries. He was purely a brilliant character to read through.



If you are a dystopian lover, there is a 90% chance that you will enjoy it. This book has all the characteristics that a good, if not a fantastic dystopian novel should have and there is not a single moment where the word boring comes to mind. If you are not a dystopian lover, but still enjoy reading YA books, then there is an 80% chance that you will like Legend. It is mixed with action, suspense, unravelling mysteries, humour, romance here and there, moments where you think holy crap and fun.


Rate out of 5: 

-C E L I N E

No comments:

Post a Comment