Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Black Ice - Becca Fitzpatrick


Black Ice






Title: Black Ice
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Format: Hardback
Release Date: October 7th 2014
Genre: YA, Mystery, Romance, Thriller, Suspense.
Stars out of ten: ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆





Sometimes danger is hard to see... until it’s too late. 

Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage. 

In exchange for her life, Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there... and in uncovering this, she may become the killer’s next target. 

But nothing is as it seems in the mountains, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally? 



Black Ice is the first stand-alone novel that Becca Fitzpatrick has written for young adults and after her very popular series, Hush Hush the expectations for Black Ice were very high. 

I was very excited about this release and when I was shopping in Waterstones I couldn't resist indulging in this book, so I bought the hardback. 

(I'm going to put the things I liked and didn't like into lists, for reasons I cannot fully comprehend lists are just better.)

The things I liked about this book:
  • The Character development.
At the beginning of this book the protagonist, Britt is very dependent on the men in her life, (her father, brother and ex-boyfriend) they have babied her through situations that she should of been able to get herself out of. She is't completely dependent on them, she is projected as an independent, strong minded female she just hadn't had a chance to put that into practise. 
When she gets stuck on the mountain you start to see her dependence on other people ebbing away, and she becomes a stronger protagonist. 
If I had to put my thoughts on this in a sentence it would be :I loved reading about this development. 
  • The Atmosphere 
The way Becca described the setting and how we were literally reading it through Britt's eyes was kind of frightening because if I was in their situation I dont know what I would have done!

  • The Plot
Many people are saying that the plot was predictable, but as I was reading this book I didn't think "Oh, I know what's going to happen here" I always thought the plot was thrilling and mysterious. I enjoyed the scenes and the not knowing what was going to happen next. 

  • The Romance
I loved the romance, the way Jude/Mason and Britt became closer and how they cared for one another. It was just so swoon worthy. 

The things I didn't like:
  • Korbie
Korbie was Britt's best friend, but I absolutely hated her for many reasons.
  1. Prior to the mountain incidents Korbie made a list comparing her and Britt. If I had a friend that did that, I would assume we weren't friends... I mean what?!?!
  2. When the car got jammed she just kept moaning about how rubbish Britt's car was, like GO AND HELP 
  3. When they arrived at the Cabin where they met Shuan and Mason. Korbie dibs-ed Shaun, even though she has a boyfriend and that just aggravated me so much!
  4. When Britt got reunited with Korbie, Korbie moaned about how little food she got left when she was left in the cabin, but Britt had just hiked god knows how many miles with the sam e amount of food. 
In a nutshell she was a rubbish friend. 

Dive into this book not knowing anything about it. A roller coaster if twists and turns, you will be on the edge of your seat. 
 
My blog is better than your vlog
-Ellie




No comments:

Post a Comment