Tuesday, October 28, 2014

All the Truth That's in Me - Julie Berry

“There is a curious comfort in letting go. After the agony, letting go brings numbness, and after the numbness, clarity. As if I can see the world for the first time, and my place in it, independent of you, a whole vista of what may be. Even if it is not grand or inspiring, it is real and solid, unlike the fantasy I've built around you. I will do this. I will triumph over you.”

17297487







Title: All the Truth That's in Me
Author: Julie Berry
Genres: YA, mystery
Rate: ☆☆☆



Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn’t know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.


First I would like to point out that it has taken a whole month and twelve days to finish this book. I went from reading an average of, say, five books per week to one every month. WHAT HAS HAPPENED?! Well there are two possibilities: 1) I didn't have any time to read because school school school, or 2) this book wasn't great. I would be leaning more against option 1.

This book was the first book I've read that had 2nd person narrative. You read the story through Judith's point of view but as if she is telling the story to the boy she (uck) loves - Lucas. It was peculiar and sometimes I had to stop and think about who she was referring to 'you' as. It was also written very...fluently. I didn't notice it so much when I was reading in my head but when my sister asked me to read out loud otherwise she'd take my book away, I really noticed it, the narration was so poet-like. 

It was very misleading. On purpose. Judith and Lottie went missing, only Judith returned. What happened to her? The author drops a huge, huge, obvious hint on what happened to Judith and I was staring at the book hoping that it was a joke because it was too obvious and too cliché. The author's motive was see through. Make the readers believe this happened when actually that happened. This was a big problem for me as I just can't stand obviousity and predictability.

What I enjoyed were how Judith dealt with the struggles that she had to face when returning home. Her mother has practically disowned her, treating her coldly; she finds out about her father's death; the town think of her as whore because they've presumed she's lost her maidenhood; Lucas is set to be married to the lovely Maria. Step by step she learns how to deal with her troubles though very quietly and passively. Its sad, yes, she gets treated as if she is noone and nothing but she's strong and never succumbs.
All the Truth That's in Me was a powerful and moving book. Though very slow paced throughout, the last part was the most gripping and frankly, the best as the truth is finally revealed.

-C E L I N E


No comments:

Post a Comment